‘The traditional Cyprus Sandwich with Halloumi’, if you are foodie, don’t dare to miss it
- 1large finger rolls or 1 pita bread or 1 hoagie roll
- 4 slices halloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4onion, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2large fresh tomato, sliced
- 1⁄4fresh lemon
- fresh oregano leaves(Rigoni leaves)
- lettuce leaf, to serve
- black olives, to serve
- Put 2 teaspoons of the olive oil into a frying pan and cook the onions over a medium heat until soft and slightly coloured, set aside.
- Put the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil into the frying pan and fry the halloumi slices over a medium to high heat on both sides, until golden brown and crispy around the edges.
- Cut the roll in half, and place the halloumi slices on one half and then squeeze the lemon juice over the cooked cheese slices. Sprinkle a few oregano leaves over the cheese before adding the sliced tomatoes and cooked onions.
- Place the other half of the roll on top of the cheese and the filling. Gently press the two halves together.
- Put the filled roll into a pre-heated griddle, Panini, George Foreman or sandwich grill for about 2 minutes, or until the bread roll is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh lettuce leaves and a handful of black olives -- and don't forget the ice cold Keo or Efes beer!
Previous article Bypoll 2018: Counting of votes begin in 4 Loksabha seats, 10 assembly constituencies