Recipe for Bubble & squeak
- 1 tbsp duck fat, goose fat or butter
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon chopped
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 15-20 cooked Brussels sprouts, sliced, or leftover boiled cabbage, shredded
- 400g cold leftover mashed potato, or cold crushed boiled potatoes
- Melt the fat in a non-stick pan, allow it to get nice and hot, then add the bacon. As it begins to brown, add the onion and garlic. Next, add the sliced sprouts or cabbage and let it colour slightly. All this will take 5-6 mins.
- Next, add the potato. Work everything together in the pan and push it down so that the mixture covers the base of the pan – allow the mixture to catch slightly on the base of the pan before turning it over and doing the same again. It’s the bits of potato that catch in the pan that define the term ‘bubble and squeak’, so be brave and let the mixture colour. Cut into wedges and serve.
Previous article HC continues stay on Delhi Metro employees' proposed strike